Louisiana Tech's Strategic Plan, Tech 2020, identifies Research and Development as an overarching theme, with the following strategic priorities:
1. Assess current research policies and procedures relative to increasing research success.
2. Improve data driven decision making and research, technology transfer, and graduate studies.
3. Increase research success.
Within these priorities, our goals are to:
- Work with the deans, faculty and staff to triple our annual research expenditures to $50M per year with $20M per year federal.
- Ensure that our research program is supportive and integrated with our educational goals at both the graduate and undergraduate levels.
- Identify, cultivate, and support those faculty and staff who have interests in pursuing grants, contracts, gifts and other research funding opportunities.
- Identify, cultivate, and support teams of faculty that are capable of obtaining major federal competitive grants or clusters of grants.
- Foster an entrepreneurial culture among faculty in identifying resources that can support their research.
- Recognize and enhance research activities that are funded by the university, particularly for disciplines where competitive funding opportunities are limited.
- Recognize, reward and publicize successful researchers.
- Market the university’s research and development programs to the external public.
- Facilitate technology transfer and commercialization of the university’s intellectual property.